Thursday, October 21, 2010

Consideration

Photo Credit: Rik C

Something happened to me recently. I am thinking that this is something that has happened slowly over the past few months and I am only now beginning to understand it. I realized the other day as I was walking down the street. I passed several bikes locked up at bike racks and I realized that I recognized several of the bikes from the bike ride last week. I began to realize that I am becoming part of the cycling community. I find that I like the idea of becoming a part of community.

I’ll admit that when I first began to dip my toes into this community I was a little fearful of what I would find. After all I am not what anyone thinks of when they think of cyclist. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be accepted by the community here in Pittsburgh. I was worried that I would be looked down upon because I am a Fatguy on an Orange Bike

I am not a girl pants wearing hipster riding my fixie, playing polo and drinking either PBR or some strange named specialty beer.

I am not a Lycra wearing Roadie riding my carbon fiber bike and worrying about getting my miles in.

I am not an environmentalist who wants to ban all cars and use bicycles to change the world.

I’m not any of these things and yet I am welcomed into the community simply because I like bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment