Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Evil Project Part 1


Photo Credit: DBackLover

Well I have to wait no longer. I posted on Bike Pittsburgh Forums that I wanted a  beater bike that I could tear apart and not worry about breaking anything expensive. Tim (Thank you Tim) offered me a Magna Mountain Bike for Free, All I had to do was go pick it up. Well today I went and picked up the bike. (you can see the photo of the Bike as I got it.

I worked on it for an hour (until it got to dark to see) and managed to strip off most of the items. i.e. everything but the chain and the sprocket. I learned quite a bit while doing this. After the photo below you can see the interesting things I learned about stripping a Bicycle.


Things I learned:
1. You can strip a bicycle of parts really fast if your not to concerned about keeping the parts.
2. Before you start something like this read up on the process. I spent several hours over the past few days reading the The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes(Expanded and Revised 5th Edition) And I have to say this really helped.
3. Make sure you have your tools, All your tools. I grabbed my big orange bucket of tools (what can I say I like orange) from my sister's where I had been working on my nephew's Bike. I can see now that my nephew has been playing with my hex keys and Chain tool since neither of them were in my Bucket. (so you can see why the front and rear derailleurs are still attached to the bike) 

Next things to tackle
1. Get my Tools from my nephew!!
2. remove the chain, derailleurs, sprocket and Bottom bracket.
3. Clean up the Frame.
4. Strip the paint off the Frame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment